Tim Oakes

Made to make you think

Friday, May 26, 2006

Goings On

I haven't posted for ages and feel compelled to just in case Jonny M strikes me off his friends list for inactivity! I don't have anything profound or thought provoking so heres my news, or significant lack of it:

It's that time of year where I attempt to prove my intelligence by guessing exam questions and doing as little revision as my conscience allows me. I only have 4 exams this term instead of the 5 I've become used to but it still seems alot. I think I could convince myself that even if I just had one exam somehow someone somewhere would be getting it easier than me but on reflection it could be worse. A mixed bag for subjects but with my first exam just a few days away I'm swiftly realisng that we haven't been taught all that we should have. Time to pull my finger out and get studying.

My final exam is on June 10th which means that I get to walk out of my exam wearing my england shrit with pride as we then take on the filth of Paraguay. Thats about the only saving grace of my exam timetable, it finishes as the world cup starts.

I don't want to get my hopes up but I really feel there is something special about 2006 for English football. It'll probably be the year remembered for the worst ever national performance ever seen but at least if I think that I won't be too disappointed. And on that note who are peoples predictions for world cup glory?

I think too many people have neglected Argentina and I also feel it's about time Spain matched the quality their squad always shows. I'm going out on a limb to say that Brazil won't do it. I don't think their defense is solid enough and any one of the top 6 teams could beat them with a good organised display. Brazil to go out in the semi's.

Anyway I'm beginning to ramble but I'll be back once the stress of exams and football has passed.

14 Comments:

  • At 7:26 pm, May 27, 2006, Blogger jodes da princess said…

    football??

    well I wont be visiting your blog til june 13th when we'll have been knocked out.

     
  • At 10:32 pm, May 27, 2006, Blogger Jon said…

    Looking forward to seeing England put on a good display. Let's hope that they get further than the quarters this time.

     
  • At 9:00 am, May 31, 2006, Blogger Liz Hinds said…

    40 years is a long time to wait; it must be England's turn.

    England versus Brazil in the final, England winning 2-1.

    And now you can tell me that can't happen because of seeding.

     
  • At 11:02 am, May 31, 2006, Blogger Tim said…

    Yeah sorry liz I'm not sure if it's impossible but if we meet brazil it'll most likely be in the semi's. Come on the boys!

     
  • At 11:26 am, May 31, 2006, Blogger Tim Lovell said…

    Glad to see we've got a football blog going on. Excellent.

    Yeah, I think that Argentina could definately be worth a shout. I can't see Germany, Holland or Italy doing too much, and there'll probably be some small, well organised boring team like Greece in the semi's too.

    But I've got to agree with you- England have got a good chance. One of France, Brazil, Argentina or England to win it. (Now how about that for a stick your neck out decision!)

     
  • At 7:00 am, June 01, 2006, Blogger Tim said…

    Greece didn't qualify Tim so however organised they pose no threat! I wonder what kind of odds a bookie would give you on greece in the semi's?!

     
  • At 11:23 am, June 01, 2006, Blogger Liz Hinds said…

    Perhaps it will be one of those nice little semi-professional teams who'll be the underdogs and everybody will love them. Like Uzbekestan. (I don't care if they're not in it; I just wanted to see if I could spell it.)

     
  • At 9:31 am, June 02, 2006, Blogger Tim Lovell said…

    I don't mean Greece will be in the semi's, that, of course, is impossible. It's just that in the most recent tournaments, we've had Greece, Korea, Japan and Turkey doing really well. Teams that weren't really expected to do much.

    And I'll thank you to cut out your sarcastic tone young man.

     
  • At 1:56 pm, June 02, 2006, Blogger Tim said…

    Sorry Tim but if you publically express that you don't like me then don't expect to be welcomed with open arms at my blog!

     
  • At 3:47 pm, June 02, 2006, Blogger Tim Lovell said…

    Ay, 'tis a fair point. I was reading some of the comments, and that did come across as a little harsh.

    Anyway, you're the one who threatened to take my blog off the air. I owed you one.

     
  • At 11:23 am, June 03, 2006, Blogger Tim said…

    One day I will Lovell... one day. Just keep looking over your shoulder young man!

     
  • At 7:52 pm, June 06, 2006, Blogger Rob said…

    yeah, got a good feeling about this one too - even if it is the first comp in years where i havent had the luxury to watch all the games.

    I had a feeling a while ago that italy was going to win it, and was going to put a bet on them beating brazil in the final, and i checked last week and where i looked a brazil italy final was the favourite. gutted.

    so yeah, the final will consist of two from england/brazil/italy. Germany might put on a good performance too, they have some pretty good players and with the home advantage.

     
  • At 11:00 am, June 07, 2006, Blogger Tim said…

    Liz I had to delete your comment becuase you refered to something that shouldn't be mentioned in public! Please don't be offended but some people are sensitive souls. Exams are going well with one to go. Thanks for asking

     
  • At 12:14 pm, June 07, 2006, Blogger Liz Hinds said…

    Aw, Tim! Deleting me just because I mentioned your fondness for ... oh, no, I mustn't say that, must I?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home